Synonyms: Silver(I)Oxide, Argentic Oxide, Silver Monoxide
Formula Weight: 231.74 (93.10% Silver metal by weight)
Chemical Formula: Ag2O
Health Rating: 2 – Intense or continued but not chronic exposure could cause temporary incapacitation or possible residual injury.
Flammability Rating: 0 – None
Reactivity Rating: 1 – Normally stable, but releases oxygen at temperatures above 280°C (536°F).
Contact Rating: 3 – Severe (Corrosive). Avoid skin contact, especially if skin is wet or moist.
Lab Protective Equip: Safety goggles and/or face shield. Latex gloves. Good ventilation.
Storage Color Code: Yellow (Reactive)
Inhalation: Remove to fresh air. Dust will sting the nasal passages. Get medical attention as soon as possible.
Ingestion: If swallowed, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Get medical attention as soon as possible.
Skin Contact: Flush skin with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes. Household Hydrogen Peroxide will reduce Silver Oxide to Silver Powder with evolution of Oxygen gas and heat. Get medical attention as soon as possible.
Eye Contact: Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub eyes or keep eyes closed.
Fire: Strong oxidizer. Contact with other material may cause fire.
Explosion: Reacts with ammonia to form an explosive fulminate when wet or dry.
Wear protective equipment. Clean up in a way that doesn’t disperse the powder into the air. If it is released into water, add dilute Hydrogen Peroxide to form less harmful Silver Powder.
Special Note: Disposal of Silver Oxide in waste systems connected to a septic tank is guaranteed to destroy the septic bacteria and require pumping out, flushing and seeding with fresh bacteria.
Store in a closed container. Silver Oxide is not light sensitive, it does absorb Carbon Dioxide in > 25% humidity.
OSHA Permissible Exposure Limit (PEL): n/a
ACGIH Threshold Limit Value (TLV): n/a
Appearance: Jet Black fine powder.
Odor: Odorless. The fine dust stings eyes, throat and nasal passages.
Silver Oxide imparts a distinctly metallic taste to water.
Solubility: 0.0002g/1000ml water @ 20°C (68°F).
Specific Gravity: 7.143
Melting Point: 280°C (536°F) – begins to release Oxygen to form Silver Powder.
Boiling Point: Turns to Silver Metal before reaching the boiling point of Silver.
Vapor Density (Air=1): not available
Vapor Pressure (mm Hg): Very low.
Stability: Stable at room temperature in sealed containers.
Hazardous Decomposition Products: Oxygen.
Incompatibilities: Ammonia – forms explosive Silver Nitride when wet or dry.
Incompatibilities: Hydrogen Peroxide – can release Oxygen in an explosive way, especially when concentrated.
Incompatibilities: Ignites Sulfur, Red Phosphorous, Sulfides of Antimony and Arsenic.
Incompatibilities: Cotton, paper towels, rags, skin, proteins, etc.
Conditions to Avoid: Do not allow Silver Oxide and Ammonia to combine.
LD50 Oral, mouse 1.027g / Kg
LD50 Oral, rat 2.82g / Kg
Domestic (Land, DOT)
Hazard Class: 5.1
ORM-D: USPS Can ship 1oz or less without hazard packaging.
Packing Group: II
Salt Lake Metals
1115 East Brigadoon Court
Salt Lake City, UT 84117
It will ignite on contact with Sulfur, Red Phosphorous, Sulfides of Antimony and Arsenic.
It will ignite other readily oxidized substances. Avoid contact with: cotton, paper towels, rags, skin, proteins, etc.
Concentrated, it is explosively decomposed by Hydrogen Peroxide, forming Silver Powder and Oxygen.
It forms extremely explosive crystals of Silver Nitride when dissolved in Ammonia. (Explosive even when wet)
Like all chemicals, avoid breathing the dust, excess skin contact, and wear safety glasses.
When pouring Silver Oxide from it’s bottle, it’s fine dust irritates the eyes, nose, throat and lungs.
• Be very careful and plan ahead for this – before handling the Silver Oxide.
If you exhale onto Silver Oxide, it absorbs some of your Carbon Dioxide to form Silver Carbonate.
It is deadly to lower life forms; bacteria, fungi, viruses.
Do not dispose Silver Oxide into Septic Systems or the Municipal Sewage System.
• It kills all of the beneficial microbes these systems rely on.
To properly dispose of Silver Oxide :
• Add 100 volumes of distilled water to 1 volume Silver Oxide powder. (glass container only)
• Add common household Hydrogen Peroxide, very slowly, with lots of stirring. (glass or plastic stirrer only)
• Add Hydrogen Peroxide, stirring, until all of the Black Powder has turned gray. (lots of bubbles – Oxygen)
• You now have reduced Silver Oxide into harmless Silver Powder. (You may want to keep it)
• NOTE : Silver Powder also breaks down the Hydrogen Peroxide, forming Oxygen bubbles.